Commercial Filming and Photography
Commercial Filming and Photography
About filming and photography at Newcastle Airport
Newcastle International Airport is a popular filming friendly location. The airport press team is happy to discuss commercial filming and photography requirements.
All filming and photography at the airport (excluding news) is classed as commercial and will be subject to the location charges outlined here.
Full support is provided for film crews, beginning with the initial location visit and right through to the final take.
Due to the nature of the location, filming and photography at the airport is subject to security and operational restrictions. The press team will review each application received on a case by case basis and will advise if permission can be granted. All filming and photography onsite requires a staff escort.
Please note filming and photography requests must be received in good time to allow for the necessary planning and administration. We may not be able to accommodate requests made at short notice so please advise the airport press office of your request as soon as possible. Generally a request must be made at least TEN working days prior to the date you wish to film or take photographs.
Please note, due to the number of filming requests received Newcastle Airport is unable to facilitate student filming / photography requests.
Popular filming and photography locations at the airport include both landside and airside areas.
Location requirements can be discussed with the press office. All airside filming will require crew members to be issued with security passes and camera requirement will need to go through security search. All filming at the airport requires staff escorts.
Landside areas are areas of the airport located before security such as the car parks, entrance doors, taxi ranks, check in areas, car hire desks, bars and restaurants before security and the departure/ arrivals board. Filming and photography of passengers arriving at the airport can be facilitated in landside areas.
Airside areas include the departure lounge, all bars / shops and restaurants after security, baggage reclaim areas, arrivals halls (both domestic and international), passport control, departure gates and all operational areas (including the apron, pier and stands). All filming with aircraft takes place airside.
- Please note that filming of airline or tour operator property such as aircraft, check in areas, cabin crew, baggage handlers or aircraft is only permitted with the full written permission of the airline or tour operator in advance.
- Filming of business partner property such as shops, restaurant areas or staff must only be done so with permission from the press office.
- No filming is permitted of the security procedures or security areas at Newcastle International Airport.
On board filming
The airport offers a permanently grounded 737 aircraft landside. This allows filming to be carried out without the normal security restrictions and the constraints of tight turnaround times that apply to all operational aircraft.
Previous filming and photography productions at Newcastle Airport have included:
- More than Meets the Pie (2013) – produced by Limelight Productions for Sky 1
- Weight Loss Ward – produced by Shiver for ITV1 (2013)
- Mall Stars - BBC Three series (2013)
- The Code - BBC2 series (March 2011)
- Vera - ITV production (October 2010)
- Fat Friends - (June 2006)
- Wire in the Blood - produced by Coastal Productions (November 2004)
- Grumpy Old Women - produced by Liberty Bell
- Our Language Our Land/Apni Boli, Apni Des (July 2008)
- Daylight Robbery - starring Paul Nicholls (September 2006)
- School for Seduction - starring Kelly Brook (August 2005)
- Warburtons commercial - produced by Academy Films (July 2008)
- Bundy Rum commercial - produced by Therapy Films (March 2007)
How to make a request for a filming / photography permit
To make a request to film or take photos at Newcastle International Airport please fill out the below filming request form providing as much detail as possible.
Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that location charges quoted for your brief will be based on the information supplied and are time and location specific.
Should your filming / photography requirements differ from the narrative provided in this document you will be liable to additional charges. All filming or photography which overruns the allocated timings agreed will be subject to additional charges.
Once you have submitted a filming or photography request you will be required to provide:
- A certificate of Public Liability Insurance
- A full Risk Assessment (s) and method statement
- Storyboard/synopsis of piece
All of the documentation must be received and checked before filming can be confirmed.
To discuss your query please email Becky Dolan on email@example.com or call 0191 214 3568 (Mon-Fri 9am until 5pm).
Photography for Personal Use
For those interested in taking photographs at Newcastle Airport for personal purposes, permission must be granted due to security restrictions and a charge may be necessary. Please contact the press office to discuss before travelling to the airport.
We will need to know
- The purpose of the photography;
- What the requirements are; and
- The date and time for planned arrival.
- Security staff, areas or procedures cannot be photographed.
- Customers or staff may not be photographed or interviewed without the prior permission from the airport press office and the airline or tour operator.
Press office contact details
Becky Dolan - Media and Public Affairs Executive
- Telephone: 0191 214 3568
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org