We are able to help special assistance passengers (including disabled or persons with reduced mobility) in a variety of different ways both inside and outside the terminal building. To provide assistance it is important that passengers notify their airline at least 48 hours before arriving at the airport.
Special assistance passengers who require help will be able to:
- Communicate their arrival at the airport and request assistance at designated points inside and outside the terminal.
- Move from a designated point to the check-in counter.
- Check-in and register baggage.
- Proceed from the check-in counter to the aircraft, with completion of emigration, customs and security procedures.
- Board the aircraft, with the provision of lifts, wheelchairs or other assistance needed, as appropriate.
- Proceed from the aircraft door to their seats.
- Store and retrieve baggage on the aircraft.
- Proceed from their seats to the aircraft door.
- Disembark from the aircraft, with the provision of lifts, wheelchairs or other assistance needed, as appropriate.
- Proceed from the aircraft to the baggage hall and retrieve baggage, with completion of immigration and customs procedures.
- Proceed from the baggage hall to a designated point.
- Reach connecting flights when in transit, with assistance on the air and land sides and within and between terminals as needed.
- Move to the toilet facilities if required.
Where a passenger with reduced mobility is assisted by a companion, this person will be able to provide all necessary assistance in the airport, including embarking and disembarking the aircraft. You can simply advise us of this when you come to the Special Assistance Desk. This is located next to WH Smith’s in the Terminal building.
If you are using mobility equipment such as an electric wheelchair, you must also notify your airline at least 48 hours before arriving for your journey and email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that we are aware you wish to travel with a mobility aid.
We are committed to ensuring that 100% of passengers of restricted mobility who notify us within the above timeframe will arrive at the gate in time for boarding, subject to their on-time arrival at the airport. This pledge extends to those pre-booked passengers who are connecting through the airport, subject to flights arriving and departure according to schedule.
Those passenger who require additional assistance when boarding an aircraft can now use an Eagle Hoist.
To book the Eagle Hoist, please email email@example.com at least 36 hours before you travel and provide the following information:
- Customer name and contact details
- Date of travel and flight details
- Passenger’s height and approximate weight
- Have you used the service before?
To find out more about the Eagle Hoist watch the video below:
Passengers who use mobility equipment, such as scooters and electric wheelchairs, are able to remain with their equipment up until it is time to board the aircraft. Upon landing at the airport the equipment will be repatriated to the passenger immediately where required.
The airport is responsible for making the equipment safe for carriage. In order to allow the airport to disable or dismantle the mobility aid with the minimum of disruption we require information from the passenger before the date of travel. The information detailed below must be conveyed through the airline a minimum of 48 hours before travel; the customer can also email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will require to know:
- Type of mobility aid
- Battery type
- Instructions on how to disable equipment
- Date and flight number of travel
In the event that your equipment is damaged in transit we will provide a manual wheelchair as a temporary replacement for your journey home.
Newcastle Airport has facilities and procedures in place to deal with assistance dogs both travelling both outbound and inbound, including designated holding / toilet areas and equipment to scan microchips. Staff are available to assist passengers travelling with assistance dogs through the airport as required.