Newcastle Airport Christmas Getaway
Airport expecting an increase in passengers in the run up to Christmas
It’s not just Santa who flies at Christmas… Newcastle International Airport has eight flights in and out on the big day bringing thousands of friends and family together for the festive holidays.
Newcastle Airport is open all year round and is staffed by air traffic controllers, handling agents, firefighters, retail and security staff on Christmas Day.
Welcome home parties are frequent in domestic and international arrivals as thousands of visitors fly in to enjoy time in the North East for the holidays. Approximately 80,000 passengers are expected to travel to or from Newcastle between 23rd December and 2nd January, with between 800 and 900 flight movements during this time.
Popular destinations during the festive season include the Canary Islands, Dubai, Amsterdam, Sharm el Sheikh, mainland Spain and Geneva. Newcastle also sees an increase in skiers heading for the slopes around Christmas time.
Dave Laws, Chief Executive of Newcastle International Airport, said: “We are expecting a very busy few weeks over the Christmas period with families and friends all over the region making use of our services.
“Other transport providers including coach and rail close on Christmas day so we offer a truly unique service for those who, for whatever reason, need to travel on the big day itself.
“Some people choose to travel on Christmas day to warmer climes such as Tenerife and Alicante while others may be connecting to other European destinations via important hubs such as Amsterdam and Paris CDG to make an extra special visit over the holidays.
“As well as people travelling elsewhere, we also have thousands of people returning home to the region for Christmas. Our arrivals hall is full of well-wishers and people calling in to collect relatives and friends. The Newcastle Airport team wishes a wonderful Christmas to all and a safe journey wherever you are travelling to.”
The airport will have the following departures on Christmas Day:
- Amsterdam (KLM) at 5.55am
- Paris CDG (Air France) at 6.25am
- Alicante (Thomson) at 6.35am
- Tenerife (Thomson) at 8.30am
- Tenerife (Thomas Cook) at 9am
- Amsterdam (KLM) at 9.15am
- Paris CDG (Air France) at 11.50am
- Paris CDG (Air France) at 16.55pm
During the winter season Newcastle International continues to work to prepare for summer 2013. With a new Jet2.com route to Pula (Croatia) and expanded easyJet services to Jersey and Amsterdam among the developments for 2013, it’s set to be a busy year for the airport. Customers are advised to book early for summer 2013 to make the most of the best deals on offer.
Newcastle Airport was awarded the 'best airport with up to six million passengers in the UK' at the Airport Operators Association (AOA) Awards ceremony in 2012, for the fourth year running.
Packing at Christmas
Christmas can often mean passengers wish to travel with unusual items packed in luggage. The airport team has created a step by step guide to ensure travellers have an enjoyable journey:
- Plan your journey to the airport ahead of time. Onsite car parking can be booked on our website or by calling us before you arrive.
- If you can, check in online and print your boarding card before arriving at the airport.
- Opt for ‘Fast Track’ through security to get through to the departure lounge even quicker. This is available to purchase as you enter into the security area or through our website in advance.
- Wrapped Christmas presents packed in hand luggage must not contain a liquid container size bigger than 100ml - even if it is unopened and beautifully packaged. If liquid items are under 100ml, they can travel in hand luggage but must be carried in a clear, resealable plastic bag.
- All pyrotechnics or smoke-emitting devices, such as party poppers, are prohibited from all passenger baggage. For unusual items, it’s advised customers contact their airline ahead of their journey to confirm restrictions.
- Ensure any liquids carried in your hand luggage, including sun cream, pastes and gel, are 100mls or under and are presented in a clear plastic bag. These are available to purchase at the entrance to security.
- Those travelling with young children can purchase additional milk and other baby products in Boots in the Departures Lounge store.
- Treat yourself to Biza duty free and take advantage of the excellent prices and 40% off discounts selected fragrance. If travelling in the EU you can use our ‘buy and collect on return’ service.
Full details of what retail stores and catering outlets customers can visit at the airport and the security regulations are available on the Newcastle Airport website. Book car parking online or by calling 0191 214 4341. Please visit www.newcastleairport.com for more information.