Noise including complaints and flight paths
Newcastle International Airport has adopted a Noise Action Plan which describes how the Airport Company deals with noise issues and how it plans to tackle the following aspects in the future:
1. Minimising noise disturbance
2. Monitoring aircraft noise in the surrounding communities
3. Review of current routes and noise abatement procedures
4. Monitoring aircraft ground noise
5. Control of military and general aviation flight
6. Maintaining a noise complaints service
7. Establishing an information and education programme
8. Control of helicopter noise
9. Monitoring noise from operations connected with the airport
Click here to read our Noise Action Plan.
Noise Monitoring Activities
Newcastle Airport has invested in the latest technology to monitor the effects of noise on the surrounding communities. The NoiseDesk system provides comprehensive airport noise and operations monitoring. The noise and track monitoring system receives data from five environmental monitoring units, strategically placed around the airport at locations including Ponteland Middle School, Dinnington First School and Seaton Burn Community College.
The units feed noise event data to the central system along with radar and flight plan data to provide detailed information on aircraft activities and levels of noise. Newcastle Airport uses the system to monitor flight paths and ensure that the correct procedures are being followed.
Regular noise monitoring surveys are carried out at the request of local residents. Newcastle Airport has the facility to place a mobile noise monitor in any location.
Newcastle Airport has a procedure in place for those affected by aircraft noise. There are a number of ways you can get in contact with us:
Environmental and Sustainability Advisor
Telephone: 0191 214 3569
Email: [email protected]
Click to download the feedback on the recent Standard Terminal Arrival Route and PRNAV –GNSS Procedures consultation. A summary of the consultation responses and action taken, is contained within the feedback report.