New and old rub shoulders together in this enchanting and charming city located on the River Lee. It is known as the Festival City, as Cork is always alive with the sound of music, theatre and arts. Packed with cheery pubs, superb restaurants, vibrant nightlife and laid back atmosphere, Cork never fails to charm its visitors!
Cork City is the second city of the Republic of Ireland. The city itself is built on an island with the centre embraced by two channels of the famous River Lee, while Victorian streets slowly wind their way up the surroundings hills and landscape. Cork truly is a city of remarkable charisma, with an enchanting history of vigorous intellectual independence and a surprisingly cosmopolitan atmosphere.
Don’t forget to visit:
- the Fota Estate Wildlife Park on idyllic Fota Island near Cobh
- the pretty coastal town of Kinsale, known as the gourmet capital of Ireland
- the lakes and mountains of Killarney with its very own National Park including walks and trails
- Retrace the footsteps of the Titanic’s passengers at The Titanic Experience in Cobh, sited on the vessel’s final departure point before leaving on its fateful maiden voyage
- and finally, Blarney Castle, home of the legendary Blarney Stone, high up on the castle battlements. Tradition holds that those who kiss the Blarney stone will be endowed with the gift of eloquence, or as the locals call it, “the gift of the gab”.
Cork is also a great place to set off from to explore the South West of Ireland. The Ring of Kerry, probably the most famous driving route in the whole of Ireland, is in easy reach. Even though you can drive it in a day, you could probably spend a week here and still not see everything.
If you need to recharge your batteries, whether for a short break or longer, this part of Ireland has so much to offer everyone whether you travel on your own, with others or with children. There is so much that one trip will make you want to return, again and again.
For more information on Cork and the surrounding are, visit the websites below:
Book online now at www.aerlingus.com.